Saturday, December 17, 2011

Sweet Potato Bread

I have been a little busy lately and haven't had much time to cook, but I have been looking for any excuse to use my new mixer. I had some left over sweet potato puree in the freezer from Thanksgiving and thought it would be great for this recipe. Plus it will give me a chance to try out my new bread hook. I like this recipe. The bread has a nice flavor. I used a 5x9 inch pan, I would recommend making multiple loafs in a slightly smaller pan. The center of this loaf was a touch under done for my taste. Other than that, I really like this recipe. A slice of this with some butter for breakfast is awesome!


1 c. warm water
2 1/4 tsp. active dry yeast {1 envelope}
1/4 c. + 1 teaspoon granulated sugar
2/3 c. sweet potato puree
1 egg
1/4 c. melted butter, cooled
3/4 tsp salt
1/2 tsp cinnamon
1/4 tsp nutmeg
3.5-4 c. bread flour

1. Pour warm water into bowl of a stand mixer. Combine yeast, 1 teaspoon of sugar with water. Swirl to combine and proof the yeast, 5 minutes.


2. Stir in remaining sugar, mashed sweet potato, egg and melted butter.
3. With the mixer on low, slowly incorporate the salt, cinnamon, nutmeg and flour (in 1/2 cup increments, switching to 1/4 cup increments as the dough starts to form).


4. Once the dough has pulled away from the sides and is tacky but won’t stick to your hands when pressed, turn the mixer on medium to high speed and knead for roughly 5 minutes.


5. After this, remove dough and place into a greased bowl. Turn dough around in bowl to lightly grease dough. Cover with plastic wrap and let rise for 1 hour warm spot in your kitchen.

 


6. Remove plastic wrap, punch down dough and place in greased loaf pan. Cover loaf with plastic wrap and let rise another hour.

 


7. After this time, preheat oven to 350 degrees. Bake loaves for 20 minutes or until the top are lightly golden. Set aside to cool.


8. Stuff face!!

Original Recipe

Might also enjoy:
Sweet Potato Cupcakes
Pesto Swirl Bread
Sweet Potato Puree

No comments:

Post a Comment