Just a warning, this dough is a bit of a nightmare. It is super sticky to the point of sticking to non-stick items. When it came to pressing the doughs out in the pan, it was very difficult to get it flat and even, especially when it came putting the regular dough on top of the blue. I was able to keep the doughs separate for the most part but they did mix a little bit. It was a bit tedious and took me a good 20 minutes.
Also spreading the doughs in the pan made things difficult with the wax paper sliding around. I ended up taking the paper out and laying it flat on the counter, spreading the dough the best I could to roughly the right size, the putting it back in the pan. A few cuss words were dropped but it worked in the end.
3 c. rhubarb, chopped
1/2 c. sugar
1/4 c. water
Cream Cheese Shortbread:
5 oz. cream cheese
1/2 c. unsalted butter
2/3 c. sugar
1/2 tsp. salt
1 Tbsp. vanilla extract
1 1/3 c. flour
(optional) blue food dye
3/4 c. sugar
1 c. rhubarb puree
2 tsp. vanilla extract
3 Tbsp. lemon juice
zest from 1 lemon
1/2 tsp. salt
red food dye
1/2 c. flour
1. Preheat the oven to 350F and line a 9"x13" baking sheet with wax paper.
2. In a medium pan, combine the water, sugar, and rhubarb.
3. Cook over medium heat until the rhubarb breaks down, about 10 minutes.
4. Pour mixture into a blender and puree. Set aside.
5. In a medium bowl, whisk the butter, cream cheese, sugar, salt and vanilla until it is fluffy.
6. Slowly incorporate the flour.
7. (optional) Take half of the dough, place in a separate bowl and add a few drops of blue dye. Stir until completely combined.
8. Press the blue dough first into the bottom of the pan, then the white dough. Bake for 15 minutes.
9. In the mean time, in a large bowl, whisk together the eggs, sugar, rhubarb, vanilla, lemon juice, lemon zest, salt, and red dye. Then mix in the flour.
10. Pour the rhubarb mixture on top of the shortbread. Bake for 20 minutes.
11. Let cool in the fridge for at least 4 hours.
12. Cut up (dust with powdered sugar if you want) and stuff face!!
Original Post: Broma Bakery
Might also enjoy:
|Sweet Potato Puree|